St. Charles, IL

St. Charles, IL

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ranger Lake State Park

We got in a camping trip!! (July 2010) We camped at Ranger Lake State Park outside of Gould on the west side of Cameron Pass. The campground looked a little sad as they had done a bunch of tree removal due to that darn Pine Beetle. We wanted to teach the boys some skills so they got to help with the campfire and cooking dinner. Justin also showed them how to widdle, they were very excited to finally use the pocket knives Uncle Ryan gave them. Alayna was great at helping gather firewood. Corbin made the whole outing a bit, well, interesting. We recently started potty training and he's been doing OK. I just didn't want to mess with any wet clothes or bringing lots of extra clothes so I put him in a diaper. He figured out he was going to stay dry so we found him on many occasions 'relieving' himself! Fortunately it was not right in our campsite. Oh the advantages of being a boy.
After dinner we took a walk to scout out the lake. After all, this was supposed to be a great fishing place. It was a very clear and shallow lake, you could watch the fish swimming. Until the rain started to fall! We continued to hiked all the way around the lake, and got to see a deer. It was not a very long walk, but the rain and thunder concerned the kids (we didn't even get that wet.) But once we got back to camp it started to come down pretty good. We found ourselves waiting it out in the van. The rain didn't last too long but we found out it was enough to get our bedding a bit wet! Camping is full of surprises. 


In the morning we were up bright and early.
The kids couldn't wait to fish, I think we made it to the lake before 6:30.
It was a gorgeous but chilly morning and I couldn't couldn't take enough picture of the mist rising off the lake. I love the mountains!


Coltin disappeared on me while I had the camera out and I never got a picture of him fishing.

Corbin's first fish!
 He reeled it in good and couldn't wait to touch it.
Coltin was so nice to help get the hook out.

This was the second one he caught! Have to give Mommy a little credit for helping him. I guess Alayna was the only one that did not catch one but she got to help Dad reel in a few.

1 comments:

Ryan and Laura said...

What a fun time that looks like! I wish I was back there. Did you guys go like right after we were there in July? Can't remember. I laughed at the picture of Corbin in Cayden's old coat. It looks so big on him! Glad you got out camping this year. Okay so where are the other months!?!?!?!?
Love ya!